Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What is Networking?

Network - such a vague and nebulous term whether it is a noun - or a verb - to me from years ago and still in my mind - the network - where I worked - American Broadcasting Companies, Inc (ABC) is still one of the big networks although perhaps very different than it was such a long time ago back in 1971 - but there was the basics for that which people are attempting to accomplish socially - in today's business world -

the network - was a group of affiliate stations all connected to the parent company in some way or other running either tv or radio programming emanating from headquarters at least part of the day and then local spots and programming during the rest of the hours left - but the main advantage of having a network was to offer to your advertisers national coverage in all of these little affiliate stations at a certain time at one grand rate that would be much too difficult to buy if you were going to individually buy them at the same time that you could this one spot nationally on a network -

then the phone company came along and chose to call what they have - a network to show how powerful all those phones connecting to each other could be - or with the fax networks - one fax could be sent out to many fax machines with a single transmission -

I believe to really call what we have here a network - we must consider in some way how to leverage telling one person into that message being spread or networked to a number of that person's connections such that the message is spread to the group if you will -

If I tell you in a post here - for example - that the company cafe press - the on line t- shirt and print on demand company has just purchased imagekind - the fine art print on demand company for exquisite fine art prints with 5.5 millions choices available for each image that an artist or even for an amateur who places their images in the galleries in the imagekind system - and you then let your friends who may be interested in that information or viewers who stop by here and read the post with the information that I have just written then this one placement of the information here may spread throughout a number of channels either through the individuals that frequent this network on a daily basis or those who get e-mail notices and check the threads at that point if they are interested in the postings in a particular topic of a specific thread or through the passerby here and there that just join RYZE and are searching for networks that they may perhaps be interested in joining or - those people who are enticed by the listing of this thread on any of the search engines and are interested either in the topic of the heading or perhaps in the particular poster and what he or she has to say - and in this particular post in this thread that simply would be me - and in this case as I have discovered over time the search engines may pick up any number of things to list this post by - whether it is the words how do you network or my name Walter Paul Bebirian or he address of my web sites that are in my signatures - www.575488trillion.com and www.bebirianart.com or it may be indexed by something that I have written about in this post such as American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. and that is my take on this networking thing without too much mystery or falsehood attached to it - but I believe with a it of the social taken out -

of course within ABC the entire network which was comprised of the FM Network - the AM Network - the TV stations and affiliates as well as the Record Company (comprised of a number of divisions) the Motion Picture Company and the Theatre Division including the Real Estate Division dealing with the real estate properties that the theatres were built on -the Art Department - the Photography Department - News - etc. there were ways to make friends with anyone in any of the other divisions and I suppose do what is implied in this social networking arena - which is help each other out - by being able to get records for one person or the other or books or theatre tickets - popcorn and soda from the theatre division - opera tickets or ticket for the rock concerts from the record division or the radio station and then there was the possibility in partaking in the events of one division if you were in another division depending on how sociable or how good friends you were with any of the people in the other divisions holding an event and just how much time or how much you were willing to spend time and thought and help wise to the other groups project -

but on the other hand it seems as if - you are not able to write in a way that people are interested in what you have to say or they do not understand it because it is not something they can grasp because it is not something that they are familiar with or for whatever reason - then this may not work out as smoothly as within the corporate network - especially since within the network - of course a person could advance or get a better job or hop over onto another division by being friends with one person or another - for example when I worked at the record company I worked for a vice president there who when the record company was relocated to California moved on over to work with his brother in/law in the Motion Picture Division and that is how I found myself working with my own office in the motion picture division with my office without really having to look very hard for this position - working for the VP of Worldwide Sales and Distribution - it really wasn't something that I had to think about too much then - it just sort of happened because I was there and able to talk with people and I have always loved what I do no matter what that is - so much more to the stories of the past - but the networking thing goes on every single day in one way or other in one corner of the town or the city to the next blog etc. and the thing is it is just something that happens - not something that I have to go out of my way to force or try to make happen -

now here is an example - to be specific that happened just yesterday - I received a call from a Gallery owner who had read somewhere that I was friends with this famous black and white photo printer Igo Bakht and since he did not have a current working number and I guess could not find one - he called me and asked me to let him know how to get in touch with Igor - who I called and then the contact was made - in the meantime I had a brief chat who I hadn't seen for a while and then e-mailed him a link to my current galleries which he took a look at and responded to in his return e-mail - and then I realized that Igor information is in my original name and phone number data bank of over 40 rolodexes built up or accumulated since some 44 years ago - so if you are just beginning on such an endeavor may I suggest that you not force or try to make things happen but just go on being friendly and helping folks and that sooner or later things will start to fall into place one step at a time - -------

thank you!

Walter

No comments: